Thursday, September 3, 2009

Vacation Sketches

Spent 6 days in Amsterdam for vacation after we wrapped up MUA2 and I took along my sketchbook. Didn't do as much drawing as I hoped, but got more than I expected.


When I got to my hotel I found out I needed to wait a while before checking in, so I walked around for a few hours and got lost. I think this was near the Amstel area.




The next day I ate lunch outside near Centraal Station. It was the largest building I saw in Amsterdam






Ate dinner at Butterfly Thai Cafe, and managed to sketch a few people while they werent looking. Strange place, they were playing the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues Videos right behind me the whole time.









Artis Zoo. Haven't Drawn animals from life in about 6 years and it shows.












There was an awesome skeleton of something called Reuzenhert









At the hotel bar after getting drenched in a crazy rainstorm.








Before going into the Rijksmuseum I grabbed lunch, again outside. Drawing people as they walked by was a neat exercise. I only took a second or two glance at them, then tried to sketch them from memory, checking details as they walked closer. An older couple were eating next to me trying not to look obvious while looking over my shoulder.













I tried to do the same thing at Vondelpaark, but this was a failure. Most people were moving too quickly, and wearing the dullest outfits.






These were terrible drawings.










On the plane back I read the Kingmaker/Kingbreaker series (what do you call a trilogy with only two books anyway?) I sketched out a quick design for a cover. I haven't played with book illustrations in years. It was always what I wanted to do with art during school, feel the urge to do some more.





Terrible wolverine sketch done on the plane. I blame turbulance, not the fact that I didn't plan out the drawing at all.






Sitting in DC airport for 7 hours waiting for a connecting flight I wanted to do some more people watching/sketching. But there was a cute girl sitting right across from me and I felt weird looking around with her right there. So I did this while listening to Becoming by NIN








Oh and I got a tattoo while I was there too.

No comments: